A kitchen remodel is an involved and sometimes stressful experience. Regardless of the size of your kitchen, there are a lot of decisions and planning that goes into the kitchen remodeling process. Are you going to get new cabinets or update the existing ones? Do you need custom lighting or new flooring? What color granite countertop will you choose? Will there be an island in your kitchen?
In order for you to maximize the chance that you have a positive experience remodeling your kitchen, it’s very important that you stay on the same page as your kitchen
remodeling contractors. While lots of factors come into play, good communication is at the heart of any remodeling project.
Though many of the materials used in a kitchen remodel may be similar regardless of the remodeling company you choose, the service you receive may vary widely company to company. If you are looking for a good company to work with during your kitchen remodel, here are some questions to ask all of the companies that you are considering.
6 Questions to Ask Your Kitchen Remodeling Contractor
1. Are you licensed and insured? Accidents sometimes happen on the job. Because accidents can happen, it is important that your contractor has insurance for company employees. It is also important to hire a contractor that is licensed. This will help you determine if you are working for a legitimate and respectable company. The answer to this question not only gives you some piece of mind, but it could potentially keep you from dealing with a painful lawsuit.
2. What is your kitchen remodeling experience? Your contractor should answer this question by providing the reassurance of multiple years of experience. Customer testimonials can also help back this up. Due to the custom nature of the work, having plenty of experience is essential for any kitchen remodel. Just because some kitchen has to be the first remodel project for a company doesn’t mean it has to be your kitchen! Choose a contractor that is confident and educated in this field.
3. How do you deal with changes? During a kitchen remodel there are often times you have to deal with unexpected changes and decisions. While many of the design decisions are made prior to the project start date, changes may sometimes be made during the remodeling process. It is necessary to ask your contractor how he or she handles project changes. This helps you get a better idea of what to expect in the event that changes are required during your kitchen remodeling project.
4. How are we going to communicate? You and your contractor should have strong, open communication. The kitchen remodeling process is a lot like a relationship. This project will fail if you and your contractor are not comfortable communicating about issues and decisions made along the way. It is important to inquire about the frequency and types of communication used during this project. It is easier to communicate in person, but also make sure your contractor is available by phone and email as well.
5. What is the project timeline? This is an important question for your kitchen remodel. Just because kitchen remodels can take considerable time, doesn’t mean your remodel should last for months on end. It is important to get a good idea of your project start and deadline. This will help you make plans, while also keeping your contractor accountable and on track.
6. What are your payment expectations? Each kitchen remodeling company will have their own payment terms and conditions. Make sure you are comfortable with the terms your kitchen remodeler requires before signing a contract. Sometimes you are required to pay a certain percentage up front and another percentage at the completion of the project. Other times you may have to pay the entire amount at the beginning, or you may be billed at the end of a remodel. Know your options in advance so you can make the best decision for your budget.
Before signing any contracts, take the time to have this conversation with your contractor. A kitchen remodel is not completed overnight; it requires patience, planning, communication and decision-making. Always keep open lines of communication with your contractor and stay positive as you look ahead with the anticipation of enjoying a beautiful remodeled kitchen. Spending time up front to find a skilled kitchen remodeling company that you trust can make the entire experience much less stressful. Interested in learning more? Contact Savvy Home Supply today to schedule your consult with a kitchen design professional.